Friday, October 21, 2005

Interview #1



Cast -

Greg: Primary IT contact - person that posted the job
Mindy: Database administrator - person that needs some help from the job selectee
Me: Some guy trying to make a little more, expanding on my creative talents...(Chaotic inner workings)

Greg: So, would you be willing to work for us part time? Without benefits? And commute?

Me: Um, I have a job right now that provides me with just a little money, but I have benefits, etc? What would I tell my kids? I cannot accept the job on the part time offering. I understand that you have fairly specific needs currently and would like to offer my services for other development. Why don't we talk about the projects that you are currently working on....

Greg: Well as you know, we have Sharepoint Server in place (Microsoft) and would need someone that could train and support the portal. We also have database software that we use in house for our registration and student processing. We would need someone to work with Mindy.

Mindy: Hi, so we are using a fairly "clunky" database in house, I am sure that you have heard of it...EMPOWER... Well, we continue to need to streamline the processes and help users get through using the interface. I have put together some documetation, mostly word documents to try to help with the commonly asked questions... Would you be able to work on documentation and help out with training...?

Me: I am so glad that I am here to help you two" I believe that there is definitely something that I could do for you, and that would be to introduce you to what I use for training development. I currently use a package called CAPTIVATE put out by Macromedia. It is alot like Powerpoint but on steroids, giving me the ability to distribute material via the web without needing specialized viewing software. The files output is in .swf and as we already know, everyone uses Internet Explorer and/or Firefox and is readily viewable there..."

Greg: That sounds great, but would you be willing or able to work for us during the week?

Me: I think that if I could do some consulting and work with you on these projects that we could get alot accomplished. We would obviously have to work out some time to meet, go over objectives, and project line the needs. I have after 5pm to work and I also am able to work over the weekends. Maybe we should discuss what I can do for you in that aspect.

Mindy: I think that all sounds great do you have anything that you could show us?

Me: I do have a link on my website for just that, do you have a station available that we could take a look at my "product"?

Mindy: Yes, why don't we go to the office....

Walking into the hallway with Greg and Mindy I notice that the building is fairly small and rustic, as older bay area buildings tend to be... We enter a doorway, curiously protected by a little number locking mechanism... There are no desktops in this little yellow room, it looks as if 5 people work together in a closely packed group. Obviously ergonomic consultant has not been hired yet... I sit down at one of the laptops and bring up my site....


and go for the example link


Greg: Wow, that is really cool, you could actually design walkthroughs for anything right?

Mindy: This would totally be helpful when we ramp up the user base in the future. We could add useful FAQS and commonly asked questions, we could train and display new procedures..

Me: I love this software, and the sky is the limit in regards to what you can do. Did I tell you that I use the software for showing people how to work with plants. You could also do a step by step of how to change your oil....Teaching anyone anything and it is all availble for distribution on the web, embedded in you current web pages, and the best part is that it cuts down on the calls. Keeping the IT staff more efficient, giving you time to do what you want. I can work on and design training for you from my home in the hours that I have after work and over the weekend...

NEXT ENTERS BOB (School Director)

Bob: Hello, So let's see what you have here.....

To be continued.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home